January 11, 2018 – AUSTIN, Texas – SecureLink, the unrivaled leader in secure third-party remote access and support, today shared the cybersecurity trends it predicts will have the biggest impact on enterprises organizations and their vendors in 2018: third-party breaches will be on the rise; hacking will increase exponentially and go mainstream; surface area for attacks is growing at a rapid rate; healthcare data is a new prize for hackers; and responsibility over liability will be debated.
“2018 is going to be a very busy year for many companies and their vendors around cybersecurity and compliance,” said Jeff Swearingen, CEO of SecureLink. “With more and more data and services moving to the cloud, BYOD taking greater and greater hold, and the proliferation of the Internet of Things, the surface area for attacks is increasing at an unprecedented rate. Coupled with the ease-of-access to hacking tools that expose security vulnerabilities, companies of all sizes will make security and compliance a top priority.”
Key Cybersecurity Predictions for 2018:
- Third-party breaches will continue to be on the rise: More and more hacks will come through third-party organizations, similar to the well-known Target breach that exposed credit card and other information for customers, rather than directly through the enterprise customer itself. According to a recent study by the Ponemon Institute, at least 56 percent of the respondents experienced a third-party data breach – up seven percent from 2016. Hackers will continue to identify new and different pathways into organizations, looking for the weakest and least safeguarded point of entry.
- Hacking is going mainstream: The likelihood of an organization getting hacked will increase exponentially in 2018, especially as hacking goes mainstream and access to sophisticated tools is easier and easier for the average Internet user. According to data from ID Theft Resource Center, the number of security breaches more than doubled (131 percent) between 2012 and 2016, and 2017 is already on pace to be ahead of 2016. Additionally, institutionalized, state-sponsored hacking (think Russia, China and North Korea) will continue to be a trend.
- Surface area for security attacks is growing rapidly: Coupled with hacking going mainstream, the attack surface for software environments is increasing at a rapid rate due to the ongoing adoption of cloud-based services and the proliferation of devices connected to the Internet, such as printers, refrigerators, televisions and mobile phones. Organizations will be required to manage and secure multiple entry points into a network.
- Healthcare data will be the new prize: While credit card data is still vulnerable and susceptible, one new prize for hackers is healthcare data. Anthem’s data breach earlier this year shed light on the price premium for black market patient information. Businesses and healthcare/medical organizations made up the bulk of hacking targets in 2016, accounting for 45 percent and 34 percent of breaches respectively, with healthcare breaches specifically jumping 151 percent in the last 10 years. This trend will only continue to grow in 2018.
- Liability will come into sharp focus: As hacking and breaches continue to gain steam – especially as third-party breaches continue to rise – a struggle between enterprise organizations and the third-party IT vendors that support them over liability and risk management will come into sharp focus. According to a recent study from Ponemon, more than 55% of organizations surveyed didn’t know if third-parties’ policies would prevent a data breach.
“Organizations that monitor these trends and make informed decisions to address the ever-increasing range of security vulnerabilities will be the most successful and least compromised,” added Swearingen.
Founded in 2003 with headquarters in Austin, TX, and an office in San Jose, Costa Rica, SecureLink is the unrivaled leader in managing secure third-party access and remote support for both enterprise companies and technology providers. Enjoying an industry-leading retention rate, SecureLink serves over 400 customers and 30,000 organizations worldwide. World-class companies across multiple industries including healthcare, financial services, legal, gaming and retail rely on SecureLink’s secure, purpose-built platform. To learn more visit www.securelink.com.
For More Information, Contact: